Tuesday, March 8, 2011

A Legacy To Live Up To

How would you describe a man who creates a legacy for an entire family for generations and generations to come? A man that gave immensely yet still felt he didn't deserve praise. A man who served his country, family, community, friends, and strangers tirelessly and willingly. When this man gave his heart, he gave it fully. If needed he would give anything to anyone in need.

You may not know this man by name or even what he looks like, but you'll know his work when you see it. You may have never given him a thought or had the chance to, but he has thought about you. You may have not had the chance to touch his life, but he has certainly touched yours.

You may be wondering who this amazing man is and why you don't know him. This man is Donald Ball and he is my Grandfather. You may be wondering how he could have touched your life, well I'll tell you. He served his country during World War II in the Navy. During the 50's, 60's, 70's, and 80's he worked with big machinery helping to save the California beaches and the homes built on the ocean in Southern California from severe storms and mud slides. He helped build the Los Angeles freeway systems, the California Aqueducts, and Disneyland. He was dedicated to his work, but first and foremost he was dedicated to his family. He had three daughters and one son, thirteen grandchildren, and many many great grand children all of whom will love him for eternity.

My Grandpa was the greatest man in the world. When I needed the love of a father he stepped up to the challenge. For as long as I can remember he's been a constant in my life. He loved unconditionally and without question. He displayed more Christ-like attributes than any one I know in the world (other than Christ himself).

March 2, he was reunited with the love of his life. His journey on this earth has ended and his new journey has began. I am still not quite sure what I'm going to do without him. I won't be able to take the 2 hour drive to Ventura and spend the weekend with him anymore. I won't get a birthday card in the mail this year, I won't be able to hear his voice, and I won't be able to give him a hug anymore.

This man was more than just a Grandfather to me. He was my best friend, a father, and an example to live righteously.

Today was his funeral and we laid him to rest with Navy Guard Honors. Here are a few photos.









I took this photo on Thanksgiving 2010. I am going to miss him every day of my life, but I will always know he is with me.

And I almost forgot to mention, my Grandpa was so amazing he will be in an upcoming issue of Hot Rod magazine. How many manage that in their 80's?

1 comment:

  1. So sorry for your loss. Such wonderful memories you must have that overflows in love that strong. Blessings of peace to you.

    ReplyDelete